Ballistic is classy, but also deadly.
Ballistic is another one of the most unique legends in Apex Legends. He is the only legend in the game (for now!) that can carry three weapons. His Ultimate ability provides you infinite ammo, and makes team fighting a breeze.
Yet, Ballistic has never quite caught on. This means players aren't used to going up against the wiley British weapons expert. Want to stand out from the crowd? Use our Apex Legends Ballistic guide to find a new level in your next game.
Apex Legends Ballistic guide: What makes Ballistic good?
The undoubted strength of Ballistic comes with his ability to carry a third weapon. There are times where you just need something a bit different, and Ballistic lets you have extra flexibility in your loadout.
Ballistic is also a member of the powerful Assault Class.
- Carry three weapons at once.
- Guaranteed gold weapon via your Ultimate ability.
- Isolate enemies and disable their weapon.
- No movement ability to get out of danger.
- Unlimited ammunition is rarely useful.
- Finding good loot makes Ballistic a lot less powerful.
- Shoots a projectile that heats up an enemy's gun as they shoot. Overheating causes damage. Hold the tactical to lock-on.
- Applies the "Overheat" effect.
- Effect lasts 8 seconds, during which time if the victim fires their weapon for too long, they will receive 30 damage and be unable to fire their weapon for 1 second. The effect is subsequently removed.
- The impact damage can knock a player, however the overheat damage will not knock a player; if they have 30 HP or less, they will be reduced to 1 HP.
- If the Whistler does not hit a target directly, it will temporarily stick to surfaces, creating a visible area-of-effect bubble that will cause the dart to hit an enemy if they get too close.
- Whistler can be used at the same time as other actions: firing, reloading, healing, etc.
The Whistler is designed to disable, stun and damage your enemies. It doesn't deal insane damage, and is more for you to isolate your enemies.
Tips for Whistler:
This ability can force your enemies to stop shooting, or face a penalty. Therefore, try and think about which weapon you'd like to disable. If someone has a Kraber or a Wingman for instance, it is much more beneficial to target them with Whistler than someone using a standard weapon.
Don't forget this ability can work as an area denial. If you want to block off a certain door, peek, or swing, you can shoot the Whistler there. It isn't a game changer deterrent but it can be better than nothing as a last resort in some situations.
Take advantage of this ability. The damage it does, and the delay in your enemies shooting isn't crazy. If you hit someone with this, try and get on the front foot with it. Follow up with grenades or other abilities if you can, don't waste the impact of the Whistler.
- Store a third weapon in the sling. Access either via inventory or Character Utility Action. The sling weapon cannot take attachments.
- The weapon in the sling can be swapped out with one of the two primary weapons via the inventory screen.
- Supply Drop Weapons and any tier Fully Kitted Weapons cannot be stored in the sling in Battle Royale.
The Sling is simple. Carry a third weapon, without attachments. The weapon will be upgraded to fully Gold when you use your Ultimate, the Tempest.
Tips for Sling:
You can use the Sling to be a good teammate. It could store a weapon for a teammate, perhaps someone who is about to be Respawned or one that has been begging for a particular loadout all game. You can always keep relevant attachments in your inventory too.
Because your Sling weapon can be upgraded to gold, it can be useful to take a weapon with a rare attachment. A great example is the Havoc or Devotion. Those weapons benefit from the Turbocharger, which can be really hard to find. The Sling combined with the Tempest is a sure fire way to have that turbo-Havoc in your fights.
Another strategy for your Sling weapon is to go for close range weapons, as you'll only be using your Tempest ultimate in close fights. Shotguns work particularly well, as they can still deal big damage without attachments but do benefit from a Gold Bolt (and maybe a Hammerpoint or Disruptors).
- When activated, nearby teammates get faster reloads, faster armed move speed, and infinite ammo. Ballistic's sling weapon will be equipped and upgraded to gold.
- Takes 3 seconds to activate and lasts 30 seconds.
- When Tempest is activated, pressing the "Ultimate" key will bring out the sling weapon
- Duration is increased by 5 seconds per kill (by anyone affected by Tempest) during the activation period.
- Affects teammates within a radius of 10 meters. Once they gain the autoloader effect, they can move beyond the radius while retaining the effect.
- The faster armed move speed is identical to holster speed.
- The sling weapon cannot be swapped to regular slot, nor disposed of, during the duration of the ultimate.
- If the sling is empty, equipping a gun to the sling while Tempest is active will upgrade it to gold.
- Even if the ultimate runs out, the sling-weapon will keep its gold status for up to 25 seconds as long as you keep continuously shooting or reloading it.
The Tempest is a strong boost to your team in fights. Speed boosts, infinite ammo and your gold sling weapon makes you as equipped as possible for your engagements.
Tips for Tempest:
Tempest does have a wind up time, so it's not really suitable to use mid fight. It's best to activate it right before you make a push. Alternatively, use it when you realise a team is about to push you. This will let you fight off their push, and maybe punish them for daring to try and fight you at all!
The Tempest only impacts teammates that are nearby. That makes it really important to be with your team and fight as a unit if you want to benefit from it. Call your teammates in before you activate it, so everyone can benefit from the impact of the ability.
It's important to make the most of this ability and use it to be aggressive and make plays. You can use as much ammo as you need, and you should have a strong gold weapon ready to go. There is no point in hesitating and dithering when you use this ability.
Apex Legends Ballistic guide: What legends work well with Ballistic?
Undoubtedly, Ballistic is designed for aggressive plays and works well with legends that are suited to making those sort of plays.
The speed boost from Tempest stacks with other legends speed boosts. That makes Octane and Mad Maggie great teammates for Ballistic. Revenant is also a great fighting legend, combining his Ultimate with Ballistic's is a scary prospect.
While Ballistic is clearly not designed for a passive style, anything is possible. Gibraltar will benefit from the extra speed in bubble fights, and Ballistic could have a maxed out Peacekeeper too! Loba will help Ballistic grab whatever weapon he needs, and Conduit is simply strong for any team fights.
Ballistic might be a low pick rate, but he certainly has something in his locker. Get out there and take those aggressive team fights!
Thanks for reading our Apex Legends Ballistic Guide.
Stay tuned to esports.gg for the latest Apex Legends and esports news.