Hearthstone joins April Fool’s Day shenanigans by removing Priest, updating cards, and more!
Hearthstone removed the Priest class, but then added it back in as a bug fix!
Hearthstone joined the April Fool's Day shenanigans by removing the Priest class, banning several cards, introducing the new “Taunt Taunt” keyword, and more!
As a prank for April 1, Blizzard Entertainment unveiled fake Hearthstone patch notes. The April Fool's Day notes first showcased the removal of the Priest class from the game, as well as a bunch of banned cards: Forbidden Ancient, Forbidden Flame, Forbidden Healing, Forbidden Shaping, Forbidden Words, and Forbidden Ritual.
Gul'dan Becomes More Powerful and One (1) Free Gold
Gul'dan artwork in Hearthstone. Image via Blizzard Entertainment.
The notes also featured cards that mention to a certain Warlock hailing from the World of Warcraft universe. If a player has the “Skull of Gul'dan, two Hands of Gul'dan, and two of the rarely seen Legs of Gul'dan” in their hand, then their opponent will be immediately obliterated.
All players have been granted one (1) gold.
Developer notes for Hearthstone patch 18.104.22.168.1.1
The pranks did not end there, as the notes emphasized granting one free gold to every player, discontinuing the main Card Sets, and reducing the number of deck slots to nine.
“Alongside this new expansion cadence, we'll be introducing "Mega-Sets!” the patch notes stated. “These card sets are comprised of 135 cards that will be released in-between Mini-Sets.”
Regular Animal Companion card. Image via Blizzard Entertainment.
Animal Companion card for April Fool's Day. Image via Blizzard Entertainment.
New "Taunt Taunt" Keyword and Rexxar Chooses Favorites in Hearthstone April's Fools Day Patch Notes
For Hearthstone players who like Taunt minions, the new “Taunt Taunt” keyword will protect those summons. According to the April Fool's Day notes, this means players must destroy all Taunt Taunt minions before they can attack the ones with just Taunt.
Minions with Taunt Taunt protect Taunt minions. You must destroy all Taunt Taunt minions before you can attack Taunt minions.
Developer notes for Hearthstone patch 22.214.171.124.1.1
Several cards also received fake updates as part of the shenanigans. The Animal Companion spell, for example, summons Leokk only as opposed to the possibility of Huffer or Misha.
The Shudderwock card. Image via Blizzard Entertainment.
April Fool's Day Shudderwock. Image via Blizzard Entertainment.
Hearthstone April Fool's Day Chaos Galore
Core Rager, Toxic Reinforcements, Blightborn Tamsin, Tickatus, and a bunch of other cards received supposed changes as well.
- Core Rager: New: 5 Attack, 1 Health.
- Toxic Reinforcements: New: Sidequest: Use the "Oops" emote three turns in a row.
- Blightborn Tamsin: New: Your Charge minions have +1 Attack.
- Tickatus: New: Battlecry: Remove the top 10 cards of your opponent's deck. Corrupt: Your opponent's deck instead.
- Kayn Sunfury: New: Charge. Your opponent has Tauntn't.
- Shudderwock: Shudderwock will now update its text dynamically in-game based on which Battlecries you've played this game.
- Boulderfist Ogre: New: [Cost 4] 7 Attack, 7 Health, renamed to Flamewreathed Faceless, reads “Ogreload: (2)”
The Boulderfist Ogre card. Image via Blizzard Entertainment.
The Flamewreathed Faceless card for April Fool's Day. Image via Blizzard Entertainment.
- The Juggernaut: New: Start of Your Turn: Summon Mr. Smite, equip Gorehowl, and deal 4 damage to the enemy hero!
- Dinosize: New: Set a minion’s stats to 7/14.
- Shimmering Courser: New: 2 Attack, 2 Health
- BEEEES!!!: New: CHOOSE A MINION!!! SUMMON FOUR 1/1 BEEEES THAT ATTACK IT!!!
- Genn Greymane: New: [Cost 5]
- Baku the Mooneater: New: [Cost 8]
- Worgen Greaser: New: 6 Attack, 4 Health.
- Echoing Ooze: Renamed to Repeatable This Turn-ing Ooze.
- Battleground Battlemaster: New: [Cost 5] Battlecry: Enemy spells cost (5) more next turn.
- The Darkness: New: 20 Attack, 22 Health.
BEEEES!!! card text. Image via Blizzard Entertainment.
BEEEES!!! card text for April Fool's Day. Image via Blizzard Entertainment.
Battlesgrounds Updates, Charging Murlocs, and Pocket Lint
Hearthstone Battlegrounds was also subject to the April Fool's Day chaos. For example, all Murlocs received Charge, A. F. Kay can no longer Freeze, emote, send messages to friends, change settings, concede, or quit in her first couple of turns, and “Explosive Trap has been added to The Great Akazamzarak's Secret Pool.”
A. F. Kay artwork. Image via Blizzard Entertainment.
The Bug fixes and game improvements section were hilarious as well, featuring the return of the Priest class despite its earlier stated removal, Golden cards getting +1 Attack, and even getting rid of the pocket lint and loose change that Luna's Pocket Galaxy supposedly gave players.
That’s all for the Hearthstone April Fool's Day shenanigans! Stay tuned on Esports.gg for more Hearthstone news and updates.
Editor | Twitter @AmyChenOfficial
Amy Chen is an esports journalist and enthusiast who specializes in in-depth interviews and breaking news. A University of Toronto and Humber College graduate, she is passionate about building up the Canadian esports industry. Her current favorite games are Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm, and she has always had a soft spot for World of Warcraft!