All signs point to a Fortnite/World of Warcraft crossover event in WoW
Is a Fortnite/World of Warcraft crossover coming our way? Some in-game WoW files point to some very interesting content coming soon.
Depending on who you ask, the news of a potential crossover between the old and new guards of gaming is either fantastic or the worst thing ever. If you've played World of Warcraft for too long then the idea of Fortnite coming in and floss dance emoting--Millennial editor's note: Is flossing still a thing? Is that cool?--all over Orgrimmar if a bad omen. If you're a Fortnite kid then you may be asking "What is World of Warcraft?" Well, good news as it appears a Fortnite and World of Warcraft crossover is in the works.
For WoW, at least.
The leaked news comes to us from the typical data-scraping of the World of Warcraft Public Test Realm via WoWhead. Within those tasty bits was news on a potential new boss encounter with Fortnite themed tooltips and info. All of which seems to point to some kind of boss against a Fortnite-abilitied enemy called the Renegade Looter.
Editor's note: Upon further digging by those in the know, this is merely a reference to Fortnite within the game and nothing official. However, this may still end up being an enemy encounter of some kind, so keep your eyes peeled.
Fortnite/World of Warcraft crossover?
As you can imagine, the comments section of the WoWhead entry for the Fortnite and World of Warcraft crossover boss abilities aren't too happy. However, keep in mind that these are the same people mad that they can no longer sell a card for upwards of one thousand dollars.
Nevermind those buzzkills.
A crossover between the formerly biggest hangout game in the world and the current is exciting news. Doubly so if you're a WoW fan that's been worried about the slow and steady decline of the game's player base for near on a decade. However, it does appear like this might just be a loving reference to Fortnite in-game and not anything official.... yet.
Okay, tangent over. Let's look at the "abilities" for this "Renegade Looter" found in the PTR files.
- Cranking 90s - The Renegade looter rapidly constructs a tower to gain the high ground.
- One Pump - The Renegade Looter carefully aims a deadly shotgun blast, inflicting 1000 Fire damage to any players hit.
- Shockwave Bomb - The Renegade Looter throws a Shockwave Bomb at the ground, knocking them and players away.
- Slurp Drink - The Renegade Looter slurps refreshing juice, healing for 2% health every 1 sec.
- Disco Bomb - The Disco Bomb explodes, causing anyone within 3.5 yards to dance uncontrollably and increase damage taken by 50% for 5 sec.
- High Ground - While on the high ground, the Renegade Looter's damage taken is reduced by 99%.
- Glug Jug - Consume the Glug Jug to restore full health.
- The Storm- The Storm inflicts 10 Nature damage every 1 sec to players not within its eye.
Yup, that's some Fortnite stuff in World of Warcraft. So far this is literally the only information available. However, I would put big money on this meaning that World of Warcraft skins will be on its way to the Fortnite at some point. After all, won't it be funny to see WoW nerds lose their minds when they see Arthas Menethil hitting the griddy with Goku or something equally amazing/stupid?
I'm all for it. Especially if this means some new blood checks out World of Warcraft. We'll keep you updated on this potential Fortnite/World of Warcraft crossover if more info comes out.
Stay tuned to esports.gg for esports info and more.