Hacked enemies are now visible to Sombra’s team through walls!!
Lead Designer Geoff Goodman and Game director Aaron Keller gave fans a glimpse into the Sombra changes for Overwatch 2. The stealth DPS character has received significant changes in OW2 that will affect the way she’s played.
What are the changes to Sombra in Overwatch 2?
One of the key factors in the Sombra changes was to reduce her Crowd Abilities. At the same time, to compensate, the developers have increased her damage and provided small buffs to her hacking abilities. Here are all the changes to Sombra in Overwatch 2.
Sombra Overwatch 2 Changes
- Significantly reduce cooldown (From 8 to 3 seconds).
- Hack lasts eight seconds but has two components
- Hack disables abilities (similar to that in Overwatch 1).
- Hacked targets are revealed to Sombra through walls for the entire duration.
- Ability lock duration reduced from 5 seconds to 1 second.
- Cooldown is no longer halved while hacking health packs
- Health Pack hack duration reduced from 60 seconds to 30 seconds.
How do the Sombra changes affect her game?
Sombra’s EMP no longer removes shields from the game. Let’s be real, this was the only reason Sombra was so effective in Overwatch 1: her ability to control the crowd. Removing shields allowed the hero to dominate and control team fights, it made her an invaluable part of any lineup. But the developers have a vision and it is to reduce crowd control in Overwatch 2.
Sombra can now hack enemies without being revealed. This is a big buff to her Hack Ability, one that allows her to continue being a nuisance after hacking enemies. Previously, players had to exit the area because hack would reveal their position and make them a sitting duck. They would either initiate the team fight or use translocator to get back to safety.
Overwatch players will focus on dealing damage more through Sombra’s Machine Pistol. Her passive, Opportunist, now deals 50% more damage to hacked targets.