Riot Games has announced the key dates for Worlds 2022 as well as the regional seeding for Riots flagship event.
The 2022 League of Legends World Championship dates and its seeds has been announced today. Riot Games has just released the key dates for the company’s flagship tournament. Worlds this year will take place in North America and will be played in four different cities. On top of that, it has now been confirmed how the regions will be seeded for the event.
Here are the key dates for the 2022 League of Legends World Championship:
- Play-Ins: September 29-October 4 at the Arena Esports Stadium at Artz Pedregal in Mexico City, Mexico
- Groups stage: October 7-10 and October 13-16 at the Hulu Theater in Madison Square Garden in New York City
- Quarterfinals: October 20-23 at the Hulu Theater in Madison Square Garden in New York City
- Semifinals: October 29-30 at the State Farm Arena in Atlanta, Georgia
- Finals: November 5 at Chase Center in San Francisco, California
LEC will receive four seeds with no LCL representative
Today Riot confirmed the LCL would not be sending a representative to Worlds 2022 this year. To make up for the missing slot, the seed would be awarded to the region that did not have four seeds and that had the best international performances over the last two years.
That honour would fall to Europe and the LEC. Europe will now join the LPL and the LCK as the three regions that will send four teams to Worlds 2022. Over the last two years, Europe has performed well internationally, reaching multiple top eight finishes at Worlds and multiple top four finishes at MSI.
Riot has announced the seedings for both the play-ins and group stage
Alongside the announcements above, Riot has confirmed the number of teams that will be competing in both the Play-Ins stage and the Group Stage. For the first time in the tournament’s history, a major region will have two teams compete in the Play-Ins. Here are how the teams are separated:
- China (LPL) – 4th Seed
- Korea (LCK) – 4th Seed
- Europe (LEC) – 3rd and 4th Seed
- North America (LCS) – 3rd Seed
- Southeast Asia (PCS) – 2nd Seed
- Vietnam (VCS) – 2nd Seed
- Brazil (CBLOL) – 1st Seed
- Japan (LJL) – 1st Seed
- Latin America (LLA) – 1st Seed
- Oceania (LCO) -1st Seed
- Turkey (TCL) – 1st Seed
- China (LPL) – 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Seeds
- Korea (LCK) – 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Seeds
- Europe (LEC) – 1st and 2nd Seeds
- North America (LCS) – 1st and 2nd Seeds
- Southeast Asia (PCS) – 1st Seed
- Vietnam (VCS) – 1st Seed