Hearthstone 22.0.2 Patch brings 14 nerfs and buffs as Holiday presents. Will this stop the OTK meta?
Hearthstone 22.0.2 Patch is live, bringing nerfs and buffs to 14 cards to stop the combo strategies that rule the metagame. Will the patch succeed this time?
Hearthstone 22.0.2 Patch: Standard Balance updates
“This patch is mainly focused on weakening some of the stronger, combo-centric strategies that have had long-term success throughout the Year of the Gryphon.”
22.0.2 Patch Hearthstone Nerfs:
- Old: [Costs 7] → New: [Costs 8]
- Dev Comment: Although Celestial Alignment is not usually a card used for from-hand, burst damage, it does frequently allow for absurd turns that happen a little earlier than we feel is healthy. Moving it up a mana should allow for more setup and counterplay before Celestial Alignment is cast.
- Old: [Costs 2] → New: [Costs 3]
- Dev Comment: Efficient Octo-bot has been a little too efficient at the upper echelons of play. We’re slowing it down as part of the general goal of toning down the power level of combo strategies.
- Old: [Costs 2] 2 Attack, 4 Health → New: [Costs 3] 2 Attack, 5 Health
- Dev Comment: Mo’arg Artificer does too much, too efficiently for decks with large amounts of removal. Increasing its cost by one will make the card a little less efficient as a tool for cheap clears, large amounts of life gain, and combo finishers.
- Old: After your opponent casts a spell, summon a copy of this. → New: After your opponent casts a spell, summon another Irondeep Trogg.
- Dev Comment: Irondeep Trogg has the capability of running away with games very early when combined with minion buffs like Noble Mount or Doggie Biscuit. Taking into account the rest of the changes we’re making with this patch, we want to adjust Trogg to remain a viable counter to early spells, but to better match the targeted power level of the format as a whole.
Hearthstone Esports in 2022: end of Grandmasters, changes in Worlds, new Seasonal Championships, and Battlegrounds Events!
The Hearthstone Esports announcement is here. The end of Grandmasters, new Battlegrounds events, and an extended World Championship. Everything you need to know, as always, in EsportsGG!
- Old: [Costs 4] → New: [Costs 5]
- Dev Comment: Runed Mithril Rod was an incredibly strong tool in the first few days after the launch of Fractured in Alterac Valley. While players were able to find a counter to it in cards like Rustrot Viper, we believe going up a Mana here will lead to healthier play patterns for the game overall.
- Old: Deal 2 damage to a minion. If it dies, restore 4 Health to your hero. → New: Deal 2 damage to a minion. If it dies, restore 3 Health to your hero.
- Dev Comment: Touch of the Nathrezim is meant to be a solid removal option for slower Warlock decks, but the overall Health restoration in Warlock is slightly too high. This is meant to be a softer change that leaves Warlock with a powerful removal option, but reduces overall Warlock healing capabilities enough to bring that aspect of the class back in line.
- Old: 2 Attack, 2 Health → New: 2 Attack, 1 Health
- Dev Comment: Paladins have a very consistent, powerful package of cards that they can include in quite a few distinct strategies. Alliance Bannerman is one of these cards that can fit into a wide range of decks. Lowering its Health by one should tone down Paladin decks by a small amount across the board.
- Old: [Costs 5] → New: [Costs 6]
- Dev Comment: Snowfall Guardian was designed with the intent of giving Freeze Shaman decks a powerful tool, but it is a little too efficient at locking up the board, especially when combined with cards like Brilliant Macaw. Moving it up one mana should soften the power of this interaction.
- Old: 2 Attack, 2 Health → New: 2 Attack, 1 Health
- Dev Comment: We’re reverting our previous change to Bloodsail Deckhand. Questline Warrior ended up slightly stronger than intended, and we believe it will continue to find success after this change.
Exclusive interview with Abar, Hearthstone Esports Product Manager
Esports.gg talked to Abar about the big overhaul Hearthstone Esports are getting in 2022. Check his thoughts about the 2022 competitive scene in this exclusive interview.
22.0.2 Patch Hearthstone Buffs:
Old: [Hero Power Costs 3] → New: [Hero Power Costs 2]
Old: [Costs 8] → New: [Costs 7]
Old: Hero Power: Deal 1 Damage. Honorable Kill: Gain +2 Damage. → New: Hero Power: Deal 2 Damage. Honorable Kill: Gain +2 Damage.
Old: [Costs 8] 6 Attack, 6 Health → New: [Costs 6] 4 Attack, 5 Health
Old: Increase the damage of your Hero Power by 1. → New: Increase the damage of your Hero Power by 1 this game.
Hearthstone Battlegrounds changes with patch 22.0.2
Sneed’s ReplicatorOld: [Costs 1] → New: [Costs 2]
Fragrant PhylacteryOld: [Costs 0] Start of Combat: Destroy your lowest Health minion. Give its Health to all your others. → New: [Costs 1] Start of Combat: Destroy your lowest Health minion. Give its stats to all your others.
Old: 5 Attack, 5 Health → New: 3 Attack, 3 Health
Old: 4 Attack, 5 Health → New: 2 Attack, 5 Health
- Scabbs Cutterbutter: Armor Tier changed from Tier 2 (2-5 Armor) to Tier 1 (0 Armor)
- Cariel Roame: Armor Tier changed from Tier 6 (6-9 Armor) to Tier 7 (7-10 Armor)
- Deathwing: Armor Tier changed from Tier 4 (4-7 Armor) to Tier 5 (5-8 Armor)
- Millificent Manastorm: Armor Tier changed from Tier 3 (3-6 Armor) to Tier 5 (5-8 Armor)
- Overlord Saurfang: Armor Tier changed from Tier 6 (6-9 Armor) to Tier 7 (7-10 Armor)
- Patches the Pirate: Armor Tier changed from Tier 3 (3-6 Armor) to Tier 2 (2-5 Armor)
- Trade Prince Gallywix: Armor Tier changed from Tier 4 (4-7 Armor) to Tier 2 (2-5 Armor)
Posesi wins 2021 Hearthstone World Championship after defeating friend and reigning champion Glory
Posesi became the world champion after winning a Quest OTK Demon Hunter mirror match. He earned a score of 3-2 against his final opponent, who is also his friend and practice partner. Not to mention the reigning world champion.