Microsoft is killing off Xbox Live Gold for a new, entry-level tier called Xbox Game Pass Core. What’s the changes? Let’s look.
Eternally confused about each major console's subscription models and how they shake out? Well, things are going to get worse before they get any better. Xbox announced today the shuttering of its Xbox Live Gold brand and plan, in lieu of a new gold standard: Xbox Game Pass Core!
Is it better? Oh, God no. Of course not. However, it does... um... uh.
Yeah! Game Pass Core! Let's go over the details of the new entry-level service and why you should maybe just consider going with Game Pass Ultimate.
When does Xbox Game Pass Core launch?
Launching on September 14, Xbox Game Pass Core is "the evolution of Xbox Live Gold" according to the Xbox press release. At $9.99 USD a month or $59.99 USD per year, you'll get access to online multiplayer and rolling access to a list of 25 games. This list is expected to update 2-3 times per year, according to Microsoft.
"With this evolution, we’re saying farewell to Games with Gold. We wanted to use this opportunity to re-imagine how to include content with this subscription. We found that the answer to the most compelling catalog was to leverage select titles from our Xbox Game Pass catalog," they said.
Here's the list of titles.
- Among Us
- Dishonored 2
- Doom Eternal
- Fable Anniversary
- Fallout 4
- Fallout 76
- Forza Horizon 4
- Gears 5
- Halo 5: Guardians
- Halo Wars 2
- Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
- Human Fall Flat
- Ori & The Will of the Wisps
- Psychonauts 2
- State of Decay 2
- The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
A strange list, but one that seems to appropriately represent the Xbox brand and the way it's eaten companies like a slime monster rolling across the countryside. And if you're a current Gold subscriber here's what you need to know, provided by Microsoft.
- On September 14, Xbox Live Gold members will automatically become Game Pass Core members, with no change in pricing, and have immediate access to a new library of over 25 high-quality games.
- Member deals & discounts will also be part of Xbox Game Pass Core.
- Games with Gold will come to an end on September 1.
- Players can continue to access any Xbox One games they previously redeemed through Games with Gold if they remain a Game Pass Core or Game Pass Ultimate member.
- Regardless of subscription status, any Xbox 360 titles redeemed via Games with Gold in the past will be kept in a player’s library.
Does this change give you the urge to upgrade? You'll have time to figure that out for yourself before Xbox Game Pass Core launches on September 14.
Stay tuned to esports.gg for esports news and information.