Service medals are available starting January 1, 2024.
The latest CS2 patch has arrived and with it, players can look forward to the all-new 2024 Service Medal. There are a few new quality-of-life improvements in the latest update as well as minor changes to a couple of maps. Here’s everything new in the latest CS2 update on December 13, 2023.
What’s new in the latest CS update?
Counter-Strike players can now add their friends in-game using their CS2 friend code. This is a significant improvement over the previous method as it prevents any ambiguity and provides unique codes for every account. Valve’s other game, Dota 2, has had this feature for quite a few years and the addition of this feature to Counter-Strike is a welcome move.
Some of the older demos would bug out in CS2 and would simply not play, which was a problem for pros and even some higher-ranked players. The latest update claims to solve this issue.
To get your service medal, earn XP by playing in official game modes and rank up your CS2 Profile. When you reach Global General (Rank 40), you'll have the option to reset your Profile Rank and earn (or upgrade) a 2024 Service Medal. The medal is an inspectable display item you can show off wherever your avatar is shown.
Finally, players can expect to collect their 2024 Service medal starting January 1, 2024. Valve introduced the service medal in 2015. Players can get the service medal once they reach Level 40, which they can do by earning XP. Players earn XP for playing the game on official Valve servers, which can include ranked, unranked as well as Deathmatch game modes. The service medals are a cosmetic display for players to show their ‘service’ to the game.
CS2 Patch Notes - December 14
- Added shell eject effects for shotguns
- Dropped weapons caused by buy menu purchasing are now dropped below the buyer
- Added all-new 2024 Service Medal which will be available starting January 1st
- Fixed an issue that prevented some older demos from playing back
- Fixed multiple exploits that allowed adding non-text data into UI labels
- Added the ability to add a Friend by using their friend code
- Added a lister for multiple lobby invites
- Adjusted wear values of some community stickers to better match CS:GO
- Adjusted clipping to remove exploitable ledges and improve player movement
- Fixed metal railing props that were generating incorrect footstep sounds
- Adjusted positions of props and ledges to more accurately match falling damage from CS:GO
- Fixed some places where players could get stuck
- Adjusted some props and materials to improve character readability
- Fixed some cases where weapons could be accidently dropped out of reach
- Made some adjustments to props that were creating exploitable lines of sight
- Various lighting and material adjustments
- Adjusted grenade clipping volume at cave entrance
The CS2 Friend Code as well as the 2024 service medal are the biggest changes in this patch. In addition, Valve has also made slight adjustments that brings CS2 numbers closer to those of CS:GO.