How to enable Fortnite 2FA
Here is a guide covering how you can enable two-factor authentication (2FA) on your Epic Games and Fortnite account.
Two-factor authentication (2FA) is a critical security consideration on any of your accounts. It protects you from hackers and those looking to capture your information or data. Fortnite Battle Royale is one of many games that offer 2FA. By enabling this, you have several options to verify access to the account and ensure that only you have access. Furthermore, all Fortnite tournaments require accounts to have 2FA enabled.
Today, we will walk you through enabling 2FA on your Epic Games and Fortnite accounts.
How do I enable Fortnite 2FA?
Enabling Fortnite 2FA is as easy as heading to your Epic Games account. Once there, you will need to log in using the email associated with your account and the password you set. If you cannot remember the password, click “Forgot Your Password” and reset it via an email link.
After logging in, you should see a list of account options on the left-hand side of the web page. Navigate to “Password & Security” next and scroll down to the bottom of the page. You should see the header “Two-Factor Authentication” and multiple options below. You can use three options for Fortnite 2FA; Third-Party Authenticator App, SMS Authentication, and Email Authentication.
The 2FA method is entirely up to the person in control of the account. It’s worth noting that the Third-Party Authenticator App option requires you to install an app such as Google Authenticator, LastPass Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, or Authy – all of which are acceptable in Fortnite. After installing the app, you must scan a QR code on the website and enter the security code listed in your application.
The SMS and Email Authentication options in your account are much more straightforward. With those, you must input your mobile phone number or email address and verify the six-digit security code sent to either of those destinations.
Step-by-step 2FA setup with screenshots
- To enable 2FA, head over to the Epic Games/Fortnite website
- In the upper-right corner, click “Sign In”
- Sign in to your account using the option you used when you first created your account
- Enter your email address and password on the next screen
- Hover over your username in the upper-right corner and select “Account”
- Select “Password & Security” from the list of options on the left side of the page
- Scroll down to “Two-Factor Authentication” and select which Fortnite 2FA method you would like to utilize on your account
- Follow the setup instructions for your chosen 2FA method
- Once that’s complete, you can test by logging out and logging back into your account
We must reiterate that 2FA is essential to secure your Fortnite account. Also, 2FA is necessary if you plan to participate in Fortnite tournaments. You can refer to Epic Games' website for more information.
Matthew "MJP" Pryor
Editor | Twitter @MJP_FN
Matt “MJP” Pryor began following esports in 2008 when Halo 3 was on top of the world. He is now a Fortnite fanatic who has watched the game’s casual and competitive development since the 2019 Fortnite World Cup. Matt plays the game often while reporting on everything from skin collaborations to tournaments and everything in between.